Monday, August 13, 2007

Home again





We made it home. What a journey, from start to finish. I believe the last time I posted was a week and a half ago, when I had about four days left in the waiting period. A world and eternity seems like it's passed since then. Where to begin?

On the final day of the waiting period Igor and I went clothes shopping for Jenya, as we knew that when we picked him up at the orphange he would not even own the clothes on his back. So, a cabbie steered us to an excellence little children's clothing store. What an experience shopping for a

boy. At that point, since Jenya wasn't with us, I had to use a tape measure that I'd marked the day before with his dimensions: foot, waist, inseam, etc. That was an interesting experience, but in the end, we were able to get him about 2.5 full sets of clothes.

Off to the orphanage we went. And sure enough, when we arrived for the big occassion of taking him away, he was wearing the sandles I'd bought him a few days before, and some underwear. Seeing him there, waiting to see the clothes I'd bought for him, reminded me of the value of human life in God's eyes. Here's this little guy who literally did not own the clothes on his back (when I dressed him in his new underwear and clothes, the old underwear stayed behind at the orphanage), standing before us just the way the good Lord made him. Literally owning nothing in the world. Not a toy, a shirt, or a pair of pants. Nothing. Yet, here my family and I had travelled half way round the world, spent tens of thousands of dollars, and more than a month of time away from home and hearth, to find, adopt, and bring into our family this little 40-pound, 6-year-old guy who, back to back, is just an inch taller than my 4 year old daughter. But it's not the money, time or travel that marks his worth. His is a value beyond human estimation or demarcation. Naked we enter this world, and naked we leave it. The value comes with us as we enter, and leaves as we depart--everything inanimate accumulated in the middle means nothing really.

Once Cory joined me, things moved very fast--suffice to say we had about four whirlwind days, starting in Mariupol with a two-hour plane flight on a 50s-era Soviet double-prop plane (and I do mean plane, not jet). It was Cory's first flight--which he'll probably never forget because he threw up three times. Did I mention we only had 2.5 sets of clothes? Did I also mention the fact that the cabin was not equipped with any airsick bags? That's right, do the math....

After that inauspicious introduction to the world of commercial flight, Cory and I arrived in Kiev and hit the ground running, to and from the U.S. embassy to secure his final travel visa to the States. During those few days, Cory had his first experience with an elevator, escalator, washing machine (he sat in front of the washing machine in the apartment where we were staying and used my flashlight to watch the wash go round and round. He sat through three loads like that!) It was amazing to witness those--and other--such experiences with my new son. Finally, on Saturday last (the 11th) we boarded our KLM flight from Kiev to Amsterdam, with a two-hour layover before our Northwest flight to Minneapolis.

One problem: They "postponed" our AMS-MSP flight for 16 hours for "technical difficulties" (read: pilot decides not to show up), which meant we'd have to either find another way to get to the States, or spend the night in Amsterdam. I'll skip the part where I basically blew up at the KLM official who wouldn't give us boarding passes on a 3/4-full flight to Boston--because he said we didn't have a reservation. (I think I actually used the word "heartless" when I was arguing with him.) We had boarding passes for a delayed flight, but he basically refused to acknowledge that little fact. Okay, so I didn't skp this part. It's good you weren't there (whoever you are) as I would have embarrassed you. I was "that guy" at the gate who basically makes a scene. In any event, we ended up spending a cozy night at a very new, very nice Holiday Inn near the AMS airport.

Sunday we headed out early to the airport to make sure we made it through customs without a hitch. On the plane we go, me completely exhuasted and Cory excited and nervous to be heading to America. I said to myself as I walked down the aisle to our seats in 24A and 24B, This will be nice as Cory can color, play with his toys, and watch 2-3 kids movies on the on-demand video system. So we sit down and a lovely voice comes over the intercom: "Due to technical difficulties, the video system is out of service for our 9.5-hour flight to Minneapolis today...." That's pretty much all I heard, even though she chattered on for a few more minutes about the duty free options, I think. More "technical difficulties"? Did the pilot who failed to show up the day before also decide to sabotage the video system? I know, it sounds so whiny , to get that panicked about no videos for 9.5 hours. But I tell you what, when you are flying internationally with a 6-year-old with the energy of Kathy Lee (is her name still Gifford?) and the stamina of Lance Armstrong, you'll take every diversion you can get. In the end, even though the video system was kaput, Cory and I managed to have a fairly nice, uneventful flight home.

That's when the real excitement started, but I'll save that for my next post....
















Some boys during play time at orphanage


4 comments:

DD4 said...

This entire experience brings tears of joy to my eyes. I can't wait to hear more! May God continue to bless Cory and the rest of your family.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your story and hearing your update on your travels home--your honesty and humor are much appreciated. And, you are not alone out there, I too, would be nervous about no video system for a 9.5 hour flight! :) Can't wait to read your next post. Love to you all-

Julie Carobini said...

Thanks for keeping us updated, Kyle. Glad all the airport junk (and waiting in general) is over. Happy for you all.

Kathy and Matt said...

We are so happy for you all now that Cory is home. Kyle, your description of him waiting for you with the new clothes brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
You all continue to be in our prayers.